|Explorance Faculty Research Grant 2022 Call for Applications|
Final submission due: 5PM, December 13, 2021 Eastern Standard Time
The faculty research grant initiative for the Bluenotes GLOBAL 2021 Virtual Experience was a great success. Presentations by faculty research grant recipients were one of the highlights of the conference. Explorance will continue the faculty research grant initiative for the upcoming Bluenotes GLOBAL 2022 conference.
Explorance has committed a total of $100,000 USD to be awarded to faculty in Bluenotes community institutions, in support of their research using assessment/course evaluation data and/or other student experience data. Each faculty grant award will be between $10,000 USD and $15,000 USD. The grants will be awarded to faculty contingent on the presentation of their research findings at the 2022 Bluenotes GLOBAL conference to be held in Chicago, July 30 through August 3, 2022. The goal is to have a track dedicated to faculty-led assessment and/or student learning and experience research presentations at the 2022 conference. See below for more details such as key dates, eligibility, blind review process etc.
Sponsored by Explorance
2022 Explorance Faculty Research Grants: Overview
The faculty grant initiative for the Bluenotes GLOBAL 2021 Virtual Experience was a great success. Presentations by faculty research grant recipients were one of the highlights of the conference. Because of this, Explorance continues to support the faculty research grant initiative for the upcoming 2022 conference.
Explorance has committed a total of $100,000 USD to be awarded to faculty in Bluenotes community institutions, in support of their research projects using assessment/course evaluation data and/or other student experience data. Each faculty award will be between $10,000 USD and $15,000 USD. Faculty may use an existing research project or use the funding to support data collection in January 2022. The research grants will be awarded to faculty contingent on the presentation of their research findings at the Bluenotes GLOBAL 2022 conference to be held in Chicago, July 30 through August 3, 2022.
- Travel expenses to Chicago should be factored into the research project budget.
- However, conference registration fees will be waived for faculty presenting research.
The goal is to have a track dedicated to faculty-led assessment and/or student learning research presentations at the 2022 conference.
Past Explorance Faculty Research Grant Recipients:
- 2021 faculty research grant recipients
- 2020 faculty research grant recipients
- To view past presentations of research findings, please search “FRG” in the Knowledge Base
KEY DATES – Mark Your Calendar!
|KEY DATE||TO REMEMBER|
|September 8, 2021||Call for Applications opens|
|December 13, 2021, 5PM ET||Deadline for faculty research grant application submissions|
|January 20, 2022||Notification of awards to selected faculty|
|April 25, 2022||Progress report due from faculty research grant recipients|
|May 23, 2022||Presentation proposal (presentation title and description) due for inclusion in Bluenotes GLOBAL 2022 conference program. Submissions made before this due date will be greatly appreciated.|
|July 30 – August 3, 2022||Bluenotes GLOBAL 2022 Conference|
Guidelines for Faculty Research Grant Application
- Faculty in Bluenotes community institutions are eligible to receive a faculty research grant. The principal investigator must be a faculty member, while collaborators and co-investigators can be non-faculty (program administrators, Blue administrators etc.), in a Bluenotes community academic institution.
- Faculty research grant proposals should be submitted as PDFs, 3 to 5 pages in length. Proposals must be formatted as follows:
- Abstract (no more than 500 words)
- Research Description: Background, Objectives, Research Methodology, Outcomes
- Research Team, including faculty principal investigator
- Proposals will be evaluated according to the faculty research grant evaluation rubric, along the dimensions of project description, goals and timeline, contributions to curricular change/student learning/student success, budget, and measurability. See the rubric for the detailed descriptions of scales by each review dimension.
- Proposals should be submitted by clicking the “Submit Faculty Research Grant Proposal” button
Faculty research grant proposal review process
- The Faculty Research Grant Proposal Review Committee, consisting of 15 to 20 faculty and administrators in the Bluenotes community institution around the world chaired by Dr. Stephanie Klein at the University of Minnesota, will evaluate the submitted research grant applications based upon the rubric.
- A blind review process will be conducted, where each proposal will be anonymized upon receipt by Explorance for review by two different committee members. Scores will be combined for a total overall score. The highest combined total scores will be awarded the grant.
- Faculty research grant proposal will be 3 to 5 pages in length. Longer proposals will be downgraded with the rubric.
- Applicants will be notified by the Committee Chair, no later than January 20, 2022, whether or not their submission has been selected to receive a faculty research grant.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to participate?
Faculty in Bluenotes community institutions are eligible to receive a faculty research grant. The principal investigator must be a faculty member, while collaborators and co-investigators can be non-faculty (program administrators, Blue administrators etc.), in a Bluenotes community academic institution.
Can proposals include multiple faculty?
Can multiple faculty from the same institution submit independent proposals?
Yes. Multiple faculty from the same institution are eligible to receive grants.
Can funding be used to pay indirect costs?
Yes. Up to 10% of the funding can be used to pay indirect costs. Please include this in your submitted budget proposal.
Do I mention the Research Ethic Board review status in the proposal?
Yes. Your research proposal must be in compliance with your institution’s Research Ethics Board requirements. Please make sure that your timeline in the application includes the time to take proper steps to get your institution’s research ethics board approval, accordingly.
How much will each faculty receive in grant money?
The final amount awarded per proposal is contingent upon the total number of accepted proposals. Each faculty grant award will be between $10,000 USD and $15,000 USD per proposal.
Are there any restrictions on the use of the grant funds?
Yes. The grant should be used both for the research proposed but also knowledge transfer from the research, according to the budget specified in your proposal. Please keep in mind that travel expenses must be budgeted by the grant recipient. Award money can be used to fund travel to the 2022 conference. Please note that conference registration fees for award recipients will be waived by Explorance.
What are the requirements for receiving a grant?
Faculty awards are contingent upon the recipient providing a progress report of their research (by April 25, 2022), a presentation for inclusion in the 2022 conference program (by May 23, 2022), and attendance/presentation at the 2022 conference.
Must faculty use data collected by Blue?
Faculty are encouraged, but not required, to use data collected with Blue, Bluepulse, or BlueX within the proposal. Explorance is offering faculty a free BlueX survey account to collect data for this initiative. BlueX, Explorance’s survey solution that rivals Qualtrics and Surveymonkey, can be used for the data collection. More details about BlueX are available at: https://explorance.com/products/bluex/. To obtain a free BlueX account for your faculty research initiative, please contact Yeona Jang (email@example.com) at Explorance.
Is this initiative available to faculty at institutions in North America only?
No. Proposals will be accepted for consideration from any institution in the Bluenotes Community, regardless of location.
Can corporate customers participate?
No. Submissions are limited to institutions of Higher Education.
Can faculty grant recipients from the past faculty research grants (in 2020 and/or in 2021) apply for funding?
Yes. Faculty are encouraged to submit an application for the 2022 faculty research grant, including for the continuation of research presented at the Bluenotes GLOBAL 2020 VX or the Bluenotes GLOBAL 2021 VX.
When will grant funds be distributed by Explorance?
It is assumed that faculty will follow their internal institutional policy on research grant handling. Faculty will work directly with Explorance to have the funds distributed according to any applicable institutional process and policy governing grant awards.