Recipients of 2023 Explorance Faculty Research Grants
The 2023 Faculty Research Grant Review Committee and Explorance would like to thank the Bluenotes Community members for their participation in the Call for the 2023 Faculty Research Grant Applications. Applicants were asked to submit research grant applications around the theme of using assessment/evaluation data and/or other types of experience data.
We are pleased to announce the 12 research grant recipients from institutions across the globe. The selected proposals represent a broad spectrum of topics that will advance the discovery of new knowledge and understanding of the use of various types of experience data including, but not limited to, assessment and course evaluation data for teaching effectiveness and student success.
Explorance has committed a total of about US$150,000 to be awarded to the Faculty Grant recipients. Research findings will be presented at the Bluenotes Global 2023 conference to be held in Louisvile, KY from July 30 through August 2, 2023, as a part of knowledge transfer.
Sponsored by Explorance
The 2023 Faculty Grant Review Committee and Explorance are pleased to announce the recipients of the 2023 Explorance Faculty Research Grants for the Bluenotes Community. We received many excellent applications from Bluenotes Community member institutions, and would like to thank everyone who applied.
The Recipients of 2023 Explorance Faculty Research Grants
A double-anonymous review process was administered and coordinated by the University of Louisville. Each research grant application was anonymized upon receipt by Explorance for review by at least two members of our 31-person review committee, made up of faculty and administrators representing Higher-Ed institutions in the Bluenotes Community from around the world.
Thirty-one (31) grant applications were received. The evaluation scoring rubric was used to score all of the proposals. The highest score on any proposal was 56 (all 7s on the rubric) making the highest combined total from both reviewers 112.
|Institution||Principal Investigator(PI)||Co-PI(s)/ Collaborator(s)||Research Topic|
|Abilene Christian University||Marisa Beard||Stephen Rektenwald, Steven Hare||Immersive Experiences of Biblical Proportions|
|James Madison University||Paul Mabrey||Kenn Barron, Paul E. Mabrey III, Danielle Maxham, Sam Prins, Tatjana Titareva||The Role of Midterm Grades and Feedback on Student Success|
|Liverpool John Moores University||Sarah Yearsly||Philip Carey||Exploring Students’ Perceptions of Attrition Risk factors: A Student-Staff Collaborative research Project on Developing a Holistic Model of Undergraduate Retention|
|McMaster University||Caroline Junkins||Rashmi Panse, Pratheepa Jeganathan, Amanda Kelly Ferguson, Sharonna Greenberg||Leveraging Data Science to Analyze and Interpret Qualitative Data from Student Evaluations of Teaching|
|Mohammed Bin Rashid University of Medicine and Health Sciences||Yajnavalka Banerjee||Nerissa Naidoo, Bhavana Nair, Madeeha Kalsekar, Sarah Tahlak, Varshini T Selvan||Employing Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction to Implement Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) in a Competency-Based Medical Curriculum to Attenuate Stress in Medical Education|
|New Jersey Institute of Technology||Aritra Dasgupta||Yi Meng, Eugene P Deess||An Interactive Visualization Dashboard for Dynamic Data-Driven Calibration of Instructional Effectiveness|
|Saint Mary’s College of California – Moraga, CA||Claire Williams||Makiko Imamura||Integration of Student and Faculty Voices in Curriculum Design: Co-Creation of a Data-Informed Curriculum and Learning Outcomes in the January Term Program|
|Southern Cross University||Raina Mason||Prithwi Raj Chakraborty, Carolyn Seton, Jenelle Benson||Investigating Student Experiences of a Block Teaching Model in Technical and Non-Technical Courses|
|The Ohio State University||Ashley Hicks||Sofia Georgiadou, University of Houston Clear Lake||Students as Educational Partners: Exploring Consumers’ Perceptions of Competency and Skill Development to Improve Marriage and Family Therapy Master’s Education|
|University of New South Wales, Sydney||Linda Ferrington||Gordana Popovic, Lillian Smyth, Australian National University, Felix Tan, Flinders University, Emma Schwartzkoff, Mid North Coast Local Health District, Nicola Kerr, Mid North Coast Local Health District, Helen Skouteris, Monash University, Michelle Gooey, Monash University, Jane Hislop, University of Edinburgh, Conor Gilligan, University of Newcastle, Vasana Kiridana, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, Gina Arena, University of Western Australia Medical School||A Comparative Analysis of Childhood Obesity Education across Australian and International University Medical Curricula|
|University of New South Wales, Sydney||Karin Watson||Collins Fleischner, Nicole Saintilan||Fostering Student Belonging in the Post-Covid Flexible Classroom|
|University of Toronto||Alison Gibbs||Clarissa Lau, Cora McCloy, Kyle Turner||Highlighting the Student Voice: Co-developing & Piloting Research Protocols to Explore Student Perspectives and Experiences with Course Evaluations|
The faculty research grant recipients will present their research findings at the Bluenotes Global 2023 conference to be held in Louisville from July 30 through August 2, 2023, as a part of knowledge transfer.
The Explorance Faculty Research Grant Review Committee for the Bluenotes Commnuity
The 2023 Explorance Faculty Research Grant Application Review Committee was made up of faculty and administrators representing Higher Education institutions in the Bluenotes Community around the world, chaired by Robert Goldstein, Vice Provost in the University of Louisville.
The Bluenotes Community and Explorance would like to thank the review committee members for their time and efforts to successfully execute the blind process to review anonymized applications, making it possible to announce the research grant recipients to advance research in use of experience data for teaching excellence and student success.
The following are the review committee members of the faculty and staff representing Higher Education institutions in the Bluenotes Community from around the world.
- Ali Sher, Professor, Yorkville University
- Aliasgar Shahiwala, Professor & Research and Faculty Development Director, Dubai Pharmacy College for Girls
- Alison Gibbs, Director & Professor, University of Toronto
- Anna Sigridur Islind, Associate Professor, Reykjavik University
- Becky S. Patterson, Executive Director and Lead Statistician, University of Louisville
- Bhavani Sridharan, Associate Dean Learning and Teaching, Australian Catholic University
- Clarissa Lau, Data Analyst, University of Toronto
- Elena Zaitseva, Academic Research and Development Officer, Liverpool John Moores University
- Ellen Rigsby, Professor of Communication, Saint Mary’s College of California
- Graham Sherwood, Assistant Academic Registrar, Liverpool John Moores University
- Irene Torres-Arends, Associate Professor, Fulbright Scholar, Yorkville University
- Jessica Midraj, Assistant Professor, Khalifa University
- Jonathan Glenn, Associate Provost, HLC Accreditation Liaison Officer, University of Central Askansas
- Kevin Concannon, Professor of English and Honors Program Director, Texas A & M University-Corpus Christi
- Laura Weingartner, Assistant Professor; Director of Research for Health Professions Education, University of Louisville
- Laura Winer, Director and Associate Professor, McGill University
- Leanne Stevens, University Teaching Fellow, Dalhousie University
- Lisa Emery, Senior Associate Registrar, University of Michigan
- Makiko Imamura, Director of Assessment and Educational Effectiveness & Professor of Communication, Saint Mary’s College of California
- Nicole Pepperell, Director, University of Waikato
- Philip Carey, Dean, Liverpool John Moores University
- Rasha Eldeeb, Associate Professor, Dubai Medical College
- Rejoice Nsibande, Head of Evaluation Services, University of the Witwatersrand
- Sadiq Midraj, Associate Professor, Zayed University
- Satish R.L., Senior Lecturer, National University of Singapore
- Shane Peterson, Coordinator of German Studies Program and Assistant Professor of German, Kennesaw State University
- Sofia Georgiadou, Faculty Member – Masters in Counselling Psychology, Yorkville University
- Turaj Ashuri, Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs and Associate Professor, Kennesaw State University
- Vladimir Kogan, Associate Professor, The Ohio State University
- Yao Wu, Academic Manager, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU)
Thank you again!